Microsoft and IBM provide their popular email clients to the users with advanced features and smooth functioning which are widely used by both the business and non-business users. MS Outlook is a popular desktop-based email client of Microsoft. On the other hand, IBM Notes is another renowned name in email clients. Both the email clients perform various advanced features for instant messaging, contact management and task scheduling. They are similar in functions but share different file formats to save the information.
Lotus Notes – Notes Storage Facility popularly known as NSF file act as the information container format for Lotus Notes email client which is supported by IBM. It is configured through Domino Server.
Microsoft Outlook – Personal Storage Table popularly known as PST file acts as the data saver file format in Outlook client which is provided by Microsoft. All mail folders and other items are stored in PST format in Outlook. However, in offline mode, OST is used.
Many users face the situation where they want to convert NSF file into PST format and some users are willing changed their email clients. There may be several reasons behind this conversion.
- Job switch – Move from one organisation to other is a common issue to convert NSF file to PST to access previous client’s data file.
- Interface and features – Outlook has a friendly interface and makes it simple for the users to handle it smoothly. Lotus Notes is not quite familiar to non-business users.
- Cost and Maintenance – The overall cost and maintenance charges of Outlook are comparatively low to Lotus Notes. Any user can simply afford Outlook email client.
- Server used – Outlook use Exchange Server which is friendlier to most of the users however, Lotus Notes use Domino Server which is not familiar to the users.
- Multiple account configuration – MS Outlook provide users functionality to use multiple account flawlessly as compared to Lotus Notes client.
Export NSF files into PST format
First, we will move to the manual methods to transfer NSF files into PST format. This can be performed into two different categories – first export Lotus Notes NSF file and saves it in Comma Separated Value format. Secondly, import that CSV file into Outlook email client.
Steps to export NSF file and save it as CSV
- First of all, install IBM Lotus Notes application on your system
- After that, Go to the File menu > Open > Lotus Notes Application
- Browse the required NSF file and click on the Open option to open the selected NSF file.
- In this step, click on the File menu then click on the Export option.
- An Export dialogue box will appear, now enter the file name, file location, and file type.
- After that, select the Comma Separated Value format for the file then a dialogue box CSV Export will pop up.
- Select the required options and click on the OK button.
- Finally, exported data gets saved in the CSV format.
Steps to import CSV file to Outlook
- To start this process, open Microsoft Outlook email-client on your system
- Click on the File menu > Open and Export > Import /Export option.
- Then, an Import and Export Wizard dialogue box appears, now choose Import from another program or file > click on the Next button.
- After that, select file type Comma Separated Values > click on the Next button.
- Now, click on the Browse option to get CSV file and select the other options according to your requirement.
- Then, select a folder in Outlook where you want to save the migrated data and click on the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Finish option and wait until the CSV file is completely imported into the Outlook.
Professional technique – DataVare NSF to PST Converter
DataVare NSF to PST Converter is the simplified and reliable solution for conversion of NSF files into PST format without any issues. The tool comes with a user-friendly interface that makes the conversion effortless. You can export any size NSF file with this powerful tool. The application works with all version Lotus Notes clients without hampering any file. It can be easily downloaded on all Windows platforms.